As soon as I got my hands on Windows Mobile 6.5, I decided to test the text message (SMS) integration feature in Exchange Server 2010 Unified Messaging. This feature basically allow SMS text messages on your phone to be synchronized back to the Exchange Server where they can be easily searched and archived.
You can set up your Windows Phone to synchronize text messages in the Activesync options:
The feature also allows you to compose and send SMS text messages from Outlook or Outlook Web App. Let’s take a closer look:
- When I receive a text message, it (obviously) reaches my phone,
- It also gets synchronized with Exchange Server 2010 through Activesync and I can see the message in Outlook
- Notice that I can reply to the text message right here from Outlook or I can compose a new one. And I can add emoticons too.
- The sent items are synchronized both in Outlook and on the Windows Phone
- The same functionality is available in Outlook Web App too:
You now have your voicemail, email, fax, SMS text messages, missed call alerts, missed conversations, all in one convenient location – your Outlook inbox. This is the power of Unified Messaging. 🙂