This has to be the biggest Oracle announcement of the year!
Oracle and Microsoft are announcing a partnership today where our joint customers will have increased choice and flexibility for deploying Oracle workloads in Windows Server private clouds, Windows Azure, or a hybrid of both. Just as enterprises have depended on Windows Server for years to run Oracle workloads on premises, they now will be able to run those workloads in Hyper-V virtualized environments or Windows Azure, with full certification and support from Oracle.
What this means:
- Our customers can run Oracle software on Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V and in Windows Azure with full support from Oracle.
- Oracle provides license mobility for customers who want to use their existing Oracle licenses to run Oracle software on Windows Azure.
- This makes Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V the only non-Oracle hypervisor that Oracle supports.
- This also makes Windows Azure the only properly licensed and fully supported public cloud option for Oracle customers.
- This will give us a huge boost in accelerating the momentum we are already seeing in Hyper-V and Azure, and should be positioned as a significant vote of confidence in our Cloud OS vision of providing a consistent platform across private and public clouds.
For additional information: