Cisco Cloud Networking and Services Platform team announced the availability of Cisco Nexus 1000V for Microsoft Hyper-V as a part of their hypervisor-agnostic cloud networking strategy. This represents a major milestone for the Nexus 1000V platform which already has more than 7000 customers.
They are also shipping Virtual Services Gateway (VSG) and Virtual Network Management Center ( VNMC) for Hyper-V. With this introduction, enterprise and cloud provider customers will be able to extend Nexus experience to Hyper-V virtual environments.
The Nexus 1000V is already a winner – Winner of Best of Microsoft TechEd 2013 award in the Virtualization Category.
Cisco Nexus 1000V for Microsoft Hyper-V Solution Highlights
- Advanced NX-OS features and associated partner ecosystem to Windows Server 2012
- Consistent operational model across hypervisors (vSphere & Hyper-V)
Innovative network services architecture (via vPath) to support secure multitenant environments
- Tight integration with Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) and System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) as well as support for PowerShell
Cisco Nexus 1100 Cloud Services Platform also supports Nexus 1000V for Hyper-V to host VSM and VSG virtual appliances.
Features and Functionality
|Switching||L2-Switching, PVLANs, QoS, ACLs, port security etc|
|Security||DHCP snooping, Dynamic ARP Inspection, and IP source guard|
|Monitoring||NetFlow, packet statistics, SPAN, and ERSPAN|
|Manageability||SNMP, NetConf, syslog, REST-APIs etc|
|Virtual Services||vPath architecture to enable services like VSG etc.|
Note: Nexus 1000V feature-set will be consistent across all hypervisors
Pricing and Orderability
Nexus1000V pricing is consistent across hypervisors. Nexus 1000V for Microsoft Hyper-V is available in two editions:
• Essential edition is available at no-cost
• Advanced edition (includes VSG for Hyper-V) is available at $695/CPU
• Cisco Nexus 1000V for Hyper-V external cisco.com page:
• Cisco Nexus 1000V Public Community:
• Cisco-Microsoft partnership page:
About Shijaz Abdulla
Shijaz Abdulla is a Datacenter Technology Solutions Professional at Microsoft, based in Doha - Qatar and helping customers better manage their infrastructure using Microsoft technologies. He is a blogger and a technology enthusiast.