Post TechEd North America there has been some interesting update on Windows Phone 7.5(Mango) relevant to enterprises. Full details here
Currently, Windows Phone 7 does not allow customization of the phone to a specific organization needs. However 3rd party developers can write applications that are specific to their organization.
Windows Phone provides functionality to configure the phone thru EAS policies. The supported policies are documented in a technical article in the blog here (Link) there are no policies that prevent users from downloading certain applications to the phone.
A quick glance at some of the new features coming out with Mango:
- Bing Audio: Shazam-style audio track recognition
- Multitasking for third-party apps, deeper integration with live tiles
- An overhauled Live Tile system (Details)
- Internet Explorer 9, support for HTML 5
- Bing Vision: Integrated scanning for barcodes, tags, text, etc.
- Voice recognition for drafting text messages
- Email folders pinnable to the start screen for quick access
- Facebook Chat and Windows Live Messenger integration
- New conversation view for email exchanges
- Ability to search email servers for archived messages
- New Lync app for Windows Phone (IM and presence)
- Support for complex passwords (alphanumeric)
- Information rights management support for protected emails and documents
- Ability to access hidden corporate WiFi networks
- Native podcast search and download in the Windows Phone Marketplace
- Integrated turn-by-turn directions
- The ability to send SMS text messages to preset groups of contacts
- Integration of Office 365 and SkyDrive in the Office hub
- Overhaul of the Games hub, with an auto-sync feature
- Twitter integration into the Windows Phone People hub
- The ability to quickly search for installed apps by keyword
- Access to motion sensor and camera by third-party apps
Read more here.
And hey stay tuned for more new features (Skype integration, maybe ) in Mango.