Server service not starting: “Access Denied”

by Shijaz Abdulla on 25.11.2008 at 09:15

Recently, I noticed that many of the computers running Windows Server 2003 SP2 had the Server service in the stopped state. When I tried to manually start the service I got an Access Denied error. A restart of the server didn’t help.

The Server service is critical because file sharing depends on it. If the service is stopped, shared folders and administrative shares on the server cannot be accessed. This is especially critical on file servers, and on domain controllers for replication/access to SYSVOL folder for group policies.

The problem got resolved when I installed all the latest updates from Microsoft Update and restarted the machine. This is a security vulnerability listed in the security bulletin MS08-067 released by Microsoft this Sunday.

10 Responses to Server service not starting: “Access Denied”

1. EhabT says:

i like how you share …
    never fell for that , but in case i did. i’ll know whats going on 🙂
    thanks

2. Jari says:

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been having this issue for a while now on an SBS2003 server. Windows’ firewall had crashed and let malware in, and at the same time the “Access denied” problem appeared on Server service.

After removing all the malware manually running updates from Windows Update seems to have cured the problem.

3. Rajesh says:

Thanks,
    After installaing the MS08-067 patch issue resolved.

4. Anonymous says:

Thanks a million

5. sumant says:

There is no other way I tried with the local admin also and the only solution is to bounce the server.

6. Vikas Waghmare says:

I am having problem while starting a service. I have installed one application and it required one service to register. So I have registered the service successfully and started the service. First time it works perfectly fine. After couple of months I need to update the application and need to restart the service. In Service Console once i select the service and click on restart. It goes into starting state. It happens in Windows 2008 ServerR2 Datacenter Edition.

7. Akther says:

Hi Shijas

I am facing the same problem on windows 2008 server Ent R2 edition. Any possibilites are there to solve this?

8. Samrat says:

Issue resolved after applying the patch. No Viruses or Malware was detected but issue was the same.

9. VMJ says:

Thanks,
    After installaing the MS08-067 patch issue resolved.