Today, we at TechLinks conducted a workshop on “Safe Surfing” in association with Al Furqan Centre at DI Hall in Manama. The workshop consisted of two sessions – one for children and the other for parents.
The children’s session which ran from 9 AM to 11 AM covered the following:
- Safety on the Internet
- Threats on the Internet (Malware: Viruses/Worms/Bots and People: chatrooms/social networking/public profiles)
- Misuse of the Internet (Privacy, Piracy, Online Fraud, Pornography)
- Q & A session
The session was highly interactive and the children, mostly teenagers, participated well. Gifts were distributed to those who gave correct answers and proactive responses during the session.
The parents’ session which was supposed to run from 6 PM to 8 PM, ran all the way till 9 PM, with more questions asked during the Q & A session.
The parents’ session covered:
- Safety of children on the internet
- People Threats on the Internet
- Misuse of the internet (Pornography, Online security, etc)
- Monitoring & controlling child activity on the internet (Live demo Windows Vista Parental Controls, Internet Explorer 7 Content Advisor)
Overall, the event was a great success and the response & feedback from the parents and children were overwhelming. Special thanks goes to Bart Martens of Culminis for his assistance in providing some of the materials used in the presentation. The event was organized (the venue, the delicious snacks, light & sound, etc) by Al Furqan Centre.
I had a good time engaging in discussions with the teenagers and the parents and look forward to doing the same workshop again sometime in the future for other institutions!
Photos of the workshop at: http://www.shijaz.com/photos/flickr_mvp.htm